You say Florida is the National Champ?

Army is in the Conference USA, Air Force in the Mountain West. Only Navy is an independent. Neuter Doom is in the Big East in basketball I believe, so joining it for football should not be a problem. The only reason they remain independent in football is so they can have their own TV/radio deals.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RexS:<BR><STRONG>Or you could just take the top four teams from each conference divide them up by enrollment and have two brackets. You could have a big and small school national champ.<P>"Texas our Texas, all hail the mighty state."</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I'm going to assume everyone realizes that I'm taking a shot at the present playoff system in Texas. I think the only way the NCAA will accept a playoff is if it involves the polls. Actually I don't think the NCAA will do that because they're too enamored with the guys in the funny looking coats (Bowl Selection Committees). Maybe we should talk about something more likely to happen, like peace in the Middle East or Hillary's election.

Borrow the NFL conference playoff style. Take the top 6 in the BCS rankings and give the top 2 teams byes. This would satisfy the argument that a playoff would cheapen the regular season. Having a bye in the 1st round of a playoff while 4 of the other 5 teams have to play would be HUGE.

I'm also in favor of either making every conference play a conference title game, or doing away with them altogether. If you do away with the conference title games (and I know they won't, too much $$$), that gives you an extra week for the playoff.

A playoff, sadly, is a pipe dream for D1 college ball though. It all boils down to money, so as long as no one is able to convince the large-conference NCAA presidents to start hating money, it will never happen. And it's a shame.

Back