You say Florida is the National Champ?

Mustang76

11-man fan
Florida was defeated by Auburn which was defeated by Arkansas which was defeated by USC which was defeated by Oregon State which was defeated by Boise State. Boise State ends season undefeated. Boise State should be the national champion. :D

Actually it's all about matchups. If team A beats team b and team b beats team C that doesen't mean team A will beat team C. Actually I think Florida was playing with a massive chip on their shoulder because of all the talk against them. It worked for Texas last year. As far as Boise keeping up with Florida I'm not so sure they couldn't. Florida was one blocked kick (South Carolina) away from not being there. The real argument is that a playoff would be the best way decide the championship. A team like Boise might suprise Oklahoma or even Florida but it wouldn't get away with it more than a once or twice. Or a team might get on a roll at the right time. But that's the way sports are. The winner at the end might not be the best team in the nation but it probably would have beat the best team or at least the one that did. Remember NC State and Villanova in NCAA Basketball.<p>[ January 10, 2007: Message edited by: RexS ]

I think a ten team playoff is necessary, but use the bcs computers to figure out the top ten. the top 2 teams have a by week and the youll be able to have a champion thats decided on the field.

There are 12 Div 1 conferences, which would mean 12 teams in the playoffs if the NCAA does it right and takes ONLY the conference champion into the national playoffs. Take away the 12th regular season game. Start the first round the second week of December and use the minor bowl games that always start that week. That leaves 6 teams and 3 games for the next week. After that round there will be 3 teams left. Flip a coin or soemthing to see who gets the bye and play one more game the week of Christmas, then have the national championship game on New Year's Day. <P>Simple, easy to implement, and therefore the reason the NCAA WILL NOT do it.

BTW, That's in Div 1A and one of the conferences is the independents, which would have to become an official conference, or the major independents would have to join some other conference, making for a bye or two on the first week.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Old Bearkat:<BR><STRONG>Simple, easy to implement, and therefore the reason the NCAA WILL NOT do it.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>The NCAA is not the problem, it's the BCS. More specifically, it's Jim Delaney, the Big 10 commish. He's basically the Joseph Stalin of college football.<P>I think a straight-up 8 or 16 team playoff would be the best way, but I think, for now, they should decide who plays the BCS Championship game after the other BCS bowls are done. They could move all the BCS bowls earlier, but the Rose Bowl and Delaney would not agree to it.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Devil ex machina:<BR><STRONG><P>The NCAA is not the problem, it's the BCS. More specifically, it's Jim Delaney, the Big 10 commish. He's basically the Joseph Stalin of college football.<P>I think a straight-up 8 or 16 team playoff would be the best way, but I think, for now, they should decide who plays the BCS Championship game after the other BCS bowls are done. They could move all the BCS bowls earlier, but the Rose Bowl and Delaney would not agree to it.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I know the NCAA is too milquetoast to do it, but the way to defeat Delaney is to forge ahead, set up the national championship system, and tell him the Big 10 will be left ut if they don't like it. Give him an ultimatim and the schools in his conference will make him geek out.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by whitfan:<BR><STRONG>what about taking 4 wild card teams making it 16 teams in the playoffs.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Aaaaaaaaaaaaaackkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk!!! NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO!<P>Conference champs only! Make the conference mean something.

If Michigan did not win the Big 10, then they don't go. I don't care how good everyone thinks they are and how much they whine, If you don't take care of business and win the conference, then you do not deserve to go. It might even have the effect of improving the recruiting chances for the schools in conferences like the Sun Belt. <P>No Wildcards! That starts the slippery slope of subjective judgements on who's worthy, just like the current BCS.

And then there's the effect of extending the playoffs another couple of weeks while the 2nd place teams duke it out in the lower rounds.

Or you could just take the top four teams from each conference divide them up by enrollment and have two brackets. You could have a big and small school national champ.<P>"Texas our Texas, all hail the mighty state."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RexS:<BR><STRONG>Or you could just take the top four teams from each conference divide them up by enrollment and have two brackets. You could have a big and small school national champ.<P>"Texas our Texas, all hail the mighty state."</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!

Back