Week 5 Big Game: Are they for real?

granger

Six-man expert
Founder
Week 5 Big Game:
The toughest week thus far too single out one game to say, “this is the biggest game this week.”

Based on scuttlebutt and water cooler talk, it seems that Happy v Crowell gets a lot of play this week. It should as it’s a headline grabber, but there are at least five other games I am more intrigued about than that one, and I also don’t like picking the same pool of teams for the game of the week. That rules Coolidge v Jonesboro out, even though that game will be good! Same deal with Nazareth v Borden County.

While I’m not 100% sure the outcome of this game won’t end up being one sided, this week I think I will settle on Milford v Aquilla.

Both schools come into this matchup with undefeated 4-0 records. Milford, #3 in Granger’s DII rankings, notching the best win between the two, as they beat Bryson in week one by just a single point. Aquilla’s best win was arguably last week with a 55-7 halftime game vs Avalon, vaulting them up to #15 in Granger’s DI polls.

Let’s be honest, this is Aquilla’s statement game and we will know a lot more about just how good the Cougars are after it. Their four wins have been impressive, scoring a total of 205 points and allowing just 13. However, their opponents: Covington, Walnut Springs, Mt. Calm and Avalon, have not been the toughest teams out there. Mt. Calm and Walnut Springs are traditionally tough teams, but this is a down year for both, as they sit at 0-4 on the year. In last week’s game vs Avalon, a team that is always tough and a playoff-type team, Avalon had several key starters out, making what would have been a competitive game, a lot more one-sided. So Aquilla is a bit of a mystery at this point. I can tell you they have a talented dual-threat backfield in backs Jacob Felan and Zack Winder. Felan has rushed for 581 yards and 11 touchdowns this year. Winder has rushed for 321 yards and 12 touchdowns and defensively he is one of the top ball hawks in the state, having logged 5 interceptions.

Milford is one of those teams who every year is great and has high expectations. This year is no exception. They came very close to losing in week one to Bryson, but went on to handle an always-tough Jonesboro squad, 71-44. Their last two wins have been over Ghoslon and Wylie Prep by wide margins. Taron Smith has already rushed and passed for over 500 yards in each category. The Bulldogs defense has a few early standouts this season; MarKavion Thompson picked off three passes in a single game and is second on the team in tackles with 42, behind Corbin Scroke’s 47. Sophomore Ricky Pendleton has proven to be a versatile player, having recorded 38 tackles as a defensive standout, while also catching eight passes for 136 yards and four touchdowns on the offensive side.

Keys to the Game:
It’s all on Aquilla. In my opinion (which isn’t worth much), they have to keep the ball out of Taron Smith’s hands, by limiting Milford’s time of possession and grinding it out moving the chains, while on offense. In addition, the Cougars will have to play mistake free and force a turnover or two themselves. It will be an uphill fight if Aquilla wants to get to 5-0, but I think they have a chance to do it. Milford can not be looking past this team or they will get burned. This game is an intriguing matchup for sure and a game worth going out to see…it’s two undefeated teams and one is a big underdog, looking to make a statement. However, in the end, I think Aquilla has more than they can handle to keep Milford and Smith at bay, and the Bulldogs’ defense has to many obstacles standing in the Cougars path to the end zone, thus I don’t see Aquilla pulling off the upset.

By far Crowell and Happy is the best game.

As for Aquilla and Milford, I believe Milford wins going away. In no way does a loss to Milford make Aquilla a bad team.
At this time right now at this very moment, I believe Aquilla is the best team in their district. Once district time rolls around and if every team is 100% healthy I believe Abbott is the top dog and the others are fighting for second place.
I always read posts on Abbott's district and each year, someone will be the district champ and at the end of district play, Abbott is the top dog.
This is pretty much the same song.

Milford beats Aquilla in this game. Aquilla will be in the mix for 2nd place in their district race.

I think Happy v Crowell is the headline grabber for sure, but just dont see it being anything different from last season. Honestly Borden Co v Nazareth tonight, a game that might be played in the rain, is a better matchup than Happy v Crowell

The Red Devils travels to "The Garden" in GC this Friday. From everyone I've talked to, GC fans alike, this is going to be a much closer and hard fought game than predicted. My prediction is Rankin will open some eyes this weekend and get a W, then maybe Granger's toy will give them a little respect after Friday! Let's not forget this is also a rivalry game as well!

Milford and Aquilla will be messy and muddy tonight! In Milford we see Aquilla as Abbotts little brother making this a rivalry game as well. Two goods undefeated teams going at it in a good ole fashion, hard hitting mud fest! I'm sure my dogs aren't taking the cougars lightly and will be coming out to shine and prove why they should be considered the best in the State. Should be a great one.

MilfordInsider":1hg1epy5 said:
Milford and Aquilla will be messy and muddy tonight! In Milford we see Aquilla as Abbotts little brother making this a rivalry game as well. Two goods undefeated teams going at it in a good ole fashion, hard hitting mud fest! I'm sure my dogs aren't taking the cougars lightly and will be coming out to shine and prove why they should be considered the best in the State. Should be a great one.
I graduated from Blum and some of my favorite games from high school were played in the mud! My favorite was upsetting Abbott in front of our home crowd my sophomore year in 2013. The best part was that everybody said we only won because our style of football played better in the rain and mud than Abbott's, but then went on to beat Abbott twice the next season, with the second win being in the quarterfinals. Abbott got the last laugh though because then they knocked us out in the first round my senior year and went on to win state lol. My second favorite game in the mud was my senior year against Aquilla. It stormed all Friday night and finally at about 9 o'clock they postponed the game to the next day. My best friend and I had our ACT the next morning so coach Mcfarlin fought for us and tried to schedule the game for Saturday night. The Aquilla coach tried to use me and my friend's ACT to his team's benefit to play the game in the morning so we would be without our starting center, wideout and defensive end and cornerback. We ended up paying the fifty dollars to reschedule our tests but it was worth it getting to 45 Aquilla in the mud lol.

No... Aquilla is not foreal. They held the ball and ran the clock out from the opening kickoff. Also one of the dirtiest programs out there. From illegal chop blocks to late hits. Our guys still handled them with ease. Great day to be a bulldog.

I wouldn't say you handled them with ease. The game wasn't locked up until late in the third quarter. A couple of jump balls and tipped passes and this score would have been alot closer and you know it. I have been interested in seeing Milford play this year to find out if you are for real. I would have to say no, typical Milford, lack of discipline, playground football. But, I will give a couple of your players some props for pulling up one of their teammate who was going to kneel for the national anthem.

Not sure I seen a player kneeling. And it was handled with extreme ease. Aquilla ran the clock out from the opening kickoff. Milford scored all but twice when they had the ball, I think there was an INT and a player getting stopped at the 1 on 4th and goal. Milfords defense proved true. Forcing multiple turnovers (INTs and Strip fumbles) I think the first half our players were confused and frustrated with how Aquilla was playing. They weren't playing to win they were playing to not get 45ed. The dirty play of Aquilla further frustrated our kids. Our kids get the bad rep for being "Undisciplined" for simply defending themselves when you had Aquilla players twisting ankles in the pile in clear view, hitting players 3 and 4 seconds after the whistle and even ADULTS instigating problems with our kids on the way to the lockeroom at halftime. With all this going on I'm proud to say that our kids stayed focused throughout the second half and played flawless football.

Same old song and dance. When a team plays Milford physical, they are a dirty program. I also believe your team had a few unsportsmanlike penalties also. I also know for a fact, that Aquilla has a security officer and administrator that stands by visitor locker room as team exits and returns to field to make sure their are no problems. Quit playing victim card.

Definitely not playing the victims. Are kids are not soft or were not scared of anything that was going on out there. Like I said they were ready to defend themselves if the refs weren't and it showed a few times when things got chippy out there. Aquilla is a good team and Milford is among the best and it showed.

Aquilla got away with a couple of dirty plays.. Twisting one of our guys ankle after he tackled him and the ref saw it all and still didnt throw a flag! The refs bailed them out all game and everybody knows that!! Should have been over at the half..

Mexican Englishman":3usqfz0j said:
I know I saw it too, the three black referees would not call anything on Aquilla, only the white guy.
I didn't see the game but looks like you are playing the victim card here. I call bs on this claim and will say I disagree with calls every game but no one should be claiming ref's are not doing there job because of race. They are professionals who love the game as much as anyone else.

TheGoat97":20ohasvc said:
Aquilla got away with a couple of dirty plays.. Twisting one of our guys ankle after he tackled him and the ref saw it all and still didnt throw a flag! The refs bailed them out all game and everybody knows that!! Should have been over at the half..
It should have been tied at halftime. Instead some missed opportunties by Aquilla made the score 20-6 at halftime.

Things got chippy and extra physical and our guys thrived in that type of environment. There is no intimidating our guys and there's no more being physical with them and expecting them to lie down. Our guys will hit you in the mouth all night long and get up and tell you about it. Aquilla was bigger than Milford but our guys pushed them around all night. 5-0

I don't know about being pushed around, I guess everyone see's things differently. I do know that Milford is ranked too high. Also, tell your HC if he wants his program to be seen in a different light, he might want to turn his hat around and not wear shorts on the sidelines. That is just my opinion, but we all see things differently.

Back