Teacher/Coach position

Dogface

Six-man fan
If it's true that what goes around comes around, then I'm probably asking for it, but here goes.
Along with many fine folks, I too find myself job hunting again this year. I went back to college at 40 because I wanted to make more of a difference than a dollar. At that time teachers were in great demand. I went part-time, nights and summers while working a 42 hr. wk. factory job on graveyard shift. I point this out only as an example of my commitment and I will bring that same kind of commitment to your school. I graduated Cum Laude in 2007 with a BS in Exercise and Sports Studies, a minor in Communications, and as a certified teacher in the state of Texas. I currently hold certifications in: All level PE, SPED, and Health, 8-12 Speech, 4-8 Gen., 4-8 ELAR, and EC-6 Gen. I am also an ordained minister through World Bibleway Fellowship and a NFHS certified interscholastic coach. I currently serve the students of Jefferson JH as their Resource ELAR teacher. I have 5th, 6th, 7th, and 8th graders. The average reading level is 2.9. I love the classroom and interacting with young people! My classroom is neat yet colorful with four computers, a document camera, and projector. I teach the 4 square writing strategy and use digital/online reading programs to augment the Reading Street textbook. I use dramatic theatre for oral reading projects. I am trying to develop a learning center classroom format in order to teach to multiple intelligences. I believe reading and writing should be integrated into all content areas, even PE! I have a Breakfast Reading Club for struggling readers that meets before 1st period, and I am the only teacher on campus that has the state mandated Positive Behavior Support system and has figured out how to use “Clickers” for Study Island. My classroom theme is “School = Work”. This district is going to try to do without a Resource class for next year as a cost saving measure. Last year I was Jefferson’s Life skills teacher (a very humbling experience), and their 7th gr. boys basketball and track coach. I took about 80 hours of training at Reg. 8 from one of the best LISD guru in the state. Since it was JH, I taught position playing based on the boys strengths and used a squad system to shuttle them in and out. It took a little more planning but they all played and loved it. Won most of their games too! The district tried to do away with that class too. The year before that I moved my family to ********* ISD. I coached all of the JH boy’s athletics and was an Inclusion teacher. It was a bittersweet experience so in an attempt to keep it positive, I’d rather not name the school. Suffice it to say I learned both what to do and what not to do. My wife has finally healed up enough to attempt another move. I’d be more than happy to coach any sport, girls or boys, because I just love kids. My business experience has qualified me to be a Head coach but understanding how things might look on paper, I would be content to assist. I have come to realize that I need to be focusing on JH science while at the same time staying current in research-based reading strategies. If you are one of the movers and shakers on your campus and you think you might want to add another one, send me a PM and we’ll discuss the goals you have for your school.
Well, there it is. I hope I haven’t offended anyone, made myself out to be more than just a man, or just sounded downright stupid. I have an extreme sense of humor and I know there are times when my brutal honesty is unsettling but I’m very passionate about what I do. It’s not just a job to me.

I wish you the best and hope you find what you're looking for.
For what it's worth, I've always felt like you were one of the "good guys" on this board.

Good luck in the job hunt, Doggy. And let your wife know if you can have a positive impact on a kid, the other stuff is worth going through.

I'll save my smart alek comments to you for another thread.

WOW!!!! I guess there's no such thing as a simple question.

OK, I guess I need to edit my initial post.
Actually,
It's more of a disclaimer.
Being a student-centered coach does not mean I should be expected to work on the cheap.
Nor should I, or anyone else be prohibited from discussing the financial arangements.
It doesn't mean I'm more about money than kids.
(Anyone that says so is prolly hiding something themself!)
I have 2 students and a wife at home who are trusting me to take care of them.
Any guy who calls himself a man has to put his family first and the students under his care a close second.
(THE BEST interview I've ever had was with a HC who always STARTED with the money. He just laid it out in a matter of fact tone and asked if we needed to keep going. The money happened to be fine. The kicker was the Math cert. he wanted from me).

oldfat&bald":nqyhld9p said:
Good luck in the job hunt, Doggy. And let your wife know if you can have a positive impact on a kid, the other stuff is worth going through.

Actually,
Some smart alek remarks might cheer me up right about now.

Dogface":hw1i97pt said:
oldfat&bald":hw1i97pt said:

Actually,

You got a math certification? Maybe you could go to work for Rainjack?

oldfat&bald":1kijnggn said:
Dogface":1kijnggn said:
oldfat&bald":1kijnggn said:

Actually,

You got a math certification? Maybe you could go to work for Rainjack?
Actually,
I don't have the HS math or science cert.
That's prolly why I'm job hunting every year.
DUH!!

That's very commendable. Being a rookie teacher/coach, it is refreshing to see an older individual that is still in tune with why they are in the classroom. I know many that are just going through the motions and don't really care about the impact they have on today's youth.

Only got 2 contacts frrom this
so far.
Both became indignant when
money was brought up.
Granted, one was a slip of the tongue
(perhaps a big mistake but I'll never know)
the other was at the end of the conversation
where I was told it needed to be.
It was suggested I get a second job to supplement
the first job.
Can't imagine why I passed.

Keep pluggin' everybody!!

I hear the following schools are looking for a coach:

Toyah
Pyote
Barstow

All three have excellent prospects and are the top candidates for the Ghost district championship in far West Texas. All three have backs so fast you cannot see them go by you. I think Drifter might know a couple of them. As far as second jobs go, my brother is always looking for more help in the oil patch there.....

Last I heard there was still a coach/ teacher job available in Rankin,,, just FYI..... the AD is Coach Williams..
Good luck guys !

The openings at Rankin
(on the Reg. 15 site)
seem to be for Secondary core.
Not seeing any coaching.
I may have missed it?

BTW,
does "Bump"
just mean check this out again?
jus wondren.

I'm astounded at how many school administrators
have just outright lied to me.
Is it any wonder why their school is a wreck?

I'm going to begin adding the fact
that all I want is an honest school.

Will that get me more or less calls?
Hmmmmmmm.....

Back