Sixman states?

Cherry5

11-man fan
Does anyone know all of the states that play six man? I think it's TEXAS, New Mexico, Montana, Colorado, Nebraska, Florida, Louisiana, and Maryland. If there's is anymore I would really like to know.

Cherry5":12uzr6h1 said:
Does anyone know all of the states that play six man? I think it's TEXAS, New Mexico, Montana, Colorado, Nebraska, Florida, Louisiana, and Maryland. If there's is anymore I would really like to know.

Louisiana does not have any 6 man schools; they have an independent league of some 8 man schools. I checked with the Louisiana HS association about a year ago and they confirmed there are no 6 man schools in that state.

I have schools from all those states you have listed EXCEPT Maryland. I remember getting a note from a school in West Virginia a year or so ago about playing the game. If anybody has a list of schools from Maryland, I'd love to see it (send me a note via PM).

Also, some part of my feeble irregular memory says there were some smaller Christian schools in Ohio that were looking at sixman a couple years ago. I also remember there were some folks from California trying to get sixman going there as well, but not sure where that went.

Thanks
Thats weird bout Louisiana not having 6man. The Cleburne Christian coach said he coached six man there for a while.

Someone also said north Dakota have any idea on them?

How many states have public school 6man and private school six man, I think some states combine the leagues.
Also how many teams in each state?

Cherry5":mfwjbkjh said:
Thanks
Thats weird bout Louisiana not having 6man. The Cleburne Christian coach said he coached six man there for a while.

Someone also said north Dakota have any idea on them?

How many states have public school 6man and private school six man, I think some states combine the leagues.
Also how many teams in each state?

Most states have combined public/private leagues. Ain't gonna happen in Texas. But even in those states with combined leagues, there are some small independent leagues which attract some smaller private schools who for whatever reason do not want to be "encumbered" with membership in the larger state league.

Idaho used to have a sixman team or two, but since that state league did not sanction the sport and nearby states (Wyoming, Montana) did not allow the school(s) to join their conference/league for the sport, that fell aside. Not sure on North Dakota. I think Louisiana had sixman until a couple years back but many of them went to 8 man. Some of these states also have 8 man leagues. I understand there are some places looking at 9 man (including my home state of Wisconsin). Other states (including Wisconsin) allow two or three small high schools to form cooperative teams (where kids from more than one school compete on the same team) to play 11 man football.

Here's what I show in out of state leagues:

FLORIDA - Florida Christian Association of Private & Parochial Schools -- 27 schools (all private & charter schools)
MONTANA - Montana High School Association - 36 schools (one is a private school)
NEBRASKA - Nebraska High School Athletic Association - 19 schools (all public)
COLORADO - Colorado High School Activities Association - 24 schools (two private schools)
WYOMING - Wyoming High School Activities Association - 11 schools (all public/charter)
NEW MEXICO - New Mexico Activities Association - 15 schools (five private/charter)

Texas still is the king, with something like 250-275 schools playing sixman football.

Maryland--"Yes, we did get football started in Maryland. We played a spring season in 2011 with 2 teams, 1 private, 1 homeschool. We agreed on playing one more spring season in 2012, with 4-6 teams, then a full launch in fall 2012 with 12-16 teams, with possible expansion into Pennsylvania and West Virginia. This league will be all privates because the smallest public in Maryland has an enrollment of 132 and is still fielding a competitive 11-man team. If their situation changes, they will be invited to move to 6-man."

South Dakota- stopped playing in the 50s or 60s

Colorado only has one private school playing six-man football in 2011: Pikes Peak Christian in Colorado Springs. Hilltop Baptist in Colorado Springs closed its doors in late July.
Due to reclassification, CHSAA has lowered maximum enrollment numbers for 2012-2013 (I heard that the limit was 70 and below, but don't quote me on that), so there will be more than a few schools moving up to 8-man next year . . . including Pikes Peak Christian.

Many high schools are combining their six-man teams with other schools so that they will have enough players to have a team. I saw one team two weeks ago that were fierce archrivals-now they're teammates, and they have both mascots on their helmets. One side has a cowboy, and the other has an Indian. I tried to find out what the "official" mascot was supposed to be, but no one wanted to tell me - even though the jerseys said "Indians."

But enrollments are still dropping, even with these "mergers."

So there will be fewer schools playing six-man football next year in Colorado. Sad.

Back