Proposed 2024 Rule Changes

Zebra Watcher

Don't Go Chasing Holding Calls...
The NCAA Rules Committee met last week and proposed a few rule changes for the upcoming 2024 season. These proposed rule changes will be determined by the NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Committee whether they are approved or set aside for the time being. The Oversight Committee will meet on April 18th. Since the U.I.L. football follows NCAA governing rules, these possible rule changes could be implemented at all levels this season pending both NCAA and U.I.L. approval

Some of possible changes that could be seen at our level include:
1. Adding an automatic timeout with 2 minutes left at the end of 2nd and 4th Quarters.
2. Uniform Enforcement Structure (Specifically Pants)
3. Removal of Horse Collar Tackle inside Tackle box.

There other possible rule changes that will be kept at the collegiate level at least for a few more years.
Link Below

NCAA Rule Changes

Any thoughts on these proposed rule changes?

Rule 2: This possible rule change would carry 1 warning per team for first violation and then cost a timeout for each subsequent violation. If the team in violation does not have any remaining timeouts, they will be assessed a 5 yard penalty for delay of game.

It seems like the zebras have just chalked up the knee pads rule lately.
I was working chains on a JV game last season and kid from the opponent shows up without his pants. They wore black pants, so he just wears his black leggings. The refs notices it and tells him he has to have knee pads, so he found a back plate and cut it up to create knee pads and then rolled them up into his leggings. I think the ref just gave up on it bc he let him play after that, but it was the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen. :ROFLMAO:

Many may not like the uniform police, but it is in the interest of Player Safety. A safety agreement is signed before the game by each team's coach.
Screenshot_20240307-113806.png

I was working chains on a JV game last season and kid from the opponent shows up without his pants. They wore black pants, so he just wears his black leggings. The refs notices it and tells him he has to have knee pads, so he found a back plate and cut it up to create knee pads and then rolled them up into his leggings. I think the ref just gave up on it bc he let him play after that, but it was the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen. :ROFLMAO:
He didn't give up, the kid met the rule at that point. Nothing in the rulebook says it HAS to be a specific design or shape. Remember how kneepads used to have the rounded part, with essentially a square attached? Today they're about the size of a aerosol spray can... but it satisfies the rule.

As far as general observations on the proposals:

1) I think this is a good thing. It gives officials a set point for end-of-half timing rules to make sure we don't forget 10 second runoff rules. (I'd rather they adjust the 10 sec runoff to 2 min instead of 1, to make it even easier on officials.)

2) This will continue to go nowhere. The blame for this, IMO, lies with coaches and TASO, not officials... coaches, for tolerating/encouraging it, and TASO for having board members a few years ago in a championship game allowing a team to basically wear bicycle shorts/hotpants, instead of enforcing the rule. If TASO leadership won't enforce it on the biggest stage, the message is it's not important, and therefore I'm not enforcing it either - especially when coaches can and do scratch officials for enforcing a rule correctly. Even if it's a PoE (Point of Emphasis_ this coming year, it will not change. Coaches will lose their minds and blame officials if they enforce it correctly.

3) will likely be approved; as a safety rule, this never should have been an exception anyways.

I've had a couple of players try to roll their pants up on their thighs, exposing the knees. They don't make it out to pregame until it's fixed. That's just me though.
I recently saw a couple of baseball players do that. Their pants were mid thigh and they have leggings bridging the gap to their stirrups. It was the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever seen.

This will continue to go nowhere. The blame for this, IMO, lies with coaches and TASO, not officials... coaches, for tolerating/encouraging it, and TASO for having board members a few years ago in a championship game allowing a team to basically wear bicycle shorts/hotpants, instead of enforcing the rule. If TASO leadership won't enforce it on the biggest stage, the message is it's not important, and therefore I'm not enforcing it either - especially when coaches can and do scratch officials for enforcing a rule correctly. Even if it's a PoE (Point of Emphasis_ this coming year, it will not change. Coaches will lose their minds and blame officials if they enforce it correctly.
Very true

Proposed Rules Changes Accepted by NCAA that could be used by U.I.L.:
1. The 2 Minute Warning was approved in 2nd and 4th quarters to synchronize all timing rules with the 10 second run-off and game clock stoppage on first downs in bounds (U.I.L. does this for all first downs, so they could amend this ruling)
2. Horse Collar Tackle inside Tackle box is now a personal foul.

On a good note, the uniform police proposal failed in the Rules Committee Panel, so no change in the enforcement for us Zebras. However, the U.I.L. will continue to push us to regulate uniforms in their own special way.

The two-minute timeout was discussed but the UIL's football rules committee decided that we will continue to use our current clock rules as they pertain to stopping & starting the clock under two minutes of each half. No two-minute timeouts.

The uniform rule & horse collar rule WILL both be applicable to UIL games going forward.

The two-minute timeout was discussed but the UIL's football rules committee decided that we will continue to use our current clock rules as they pertain to stopping & starting the clock under two minutes of each half. No two-minute timeouts.

The uniform rule & horse collar rule WILL both be applicable to UIL games going forward.
Sounds good Coach. I appreciate the help with this update. I hadn't yet seen the press release. Many Zebras are not a fan of the uniform rule but if the coaches/U.I.L. agreed upon it, then it would be accepted when enforced during game time.

We had a game last fall where there was a clear horse collar along the sideline. The flag was thrown. The head official who clearly had an axe to grind decided that since the ball carrier stepped out right before the horse collar happened, it wasn’t a horse collar…and it wasn’t a late hit. Will UIL adopt that rule where as long as the ball carrier steps out, you can do whatever you want in regards to horse collars w/out penalty?

The NCAA met on April 18th. The changes that they passed will be included in the 2024 NCAA Football Rulebook.

After the NCAA Rulebook language is finalized, the UIL will make the applicable changes to our rules. Everything should be finalized by the middle of next month.

I do expect a UIL rule regarding uniforms to be very similar to what Zebra Watcher posted above.

But that’s what I’m saying. The NCAA PROP already met and chose not to adopt the uniform proposal. So there’s nothing to accept or deny. That’s why I’m asking, is UIL just going to write their own rule on this?

Back