Local places on the road for good food

You can say you're a chicken but until you start laying eggs it's just talk. Case in point, Hill Country Cupboard in Johnson City. Probably on of the Worst CFS that ever plopped on a plate.

hill-country-cupboard-build.jpg

smokeyjoe53":2uzzup8a said:
You can say you're a chicken but until you start laying eggs it's just talk. Case in point, Hill Country Cupboard in Johnson City. Probably on of the Worst CFS that ever plopped on a plate.
hill-country-cupboard-build.jpg
I concur with your assessment of the CFS here... but these folks seemed to love it.
0f1m2kQc4.gif

El Camino in Tulia is 12 minutes from Happy, 10 minutes from Kress and 15 minutes from Naz. Everyone from Valley stops there everytime we play one of those teams. Going to Valley for a JV game, the fried chicken at Caprock Cafe in Quitaque is unbelievable, but served only on thursday.

Dogface":uwdzxsqg said:
Mary's does have the BIGGEST
large order CFS.
But it's only just as good as any other.
No need for a special trip.
She has several Texas sized items on the menu.
For those of you who aren't driving
she also has a new "beer garden/patio".

But, I think the coolest thing
is she has pictures from around the world
of people wearing a Mary's t-shirt.
I was watching the local news
the other day and the lady they were interviewing
was standing there in a dad gum Mary's Cafe shirt.
I would only partially agree with that statement. The meat itself is above average, breaded almost to perfection. However, just the meat itself, with regular country gravy would make it an above average CFS. But..... The gravy that comes with it is most excellent. I don't think it is homemade, but rather a gravy mix that has some added seasoning (mainly pepper) to it. and it is really really good. Keep the CFS, just give me a small plate of fries (which is more than the average bear can eat) and a big bowl of gravy to dip them in.

I remember the first time I attempted to make cream gravy. My brother and I were at John Tarleton Institute and in preparation for his impending marriage he had rented a house. As we were doing some "fixing up" of the house, we decided since we had a stove we would fry some chicken. You had to have gravy with fried chicken so we started making gravy. Brother asked how much flour to put in and I said about a cup or cup and a half.
Needless to say we enjoyed our gravy slices........................

smokeyjoe53":1ue6u2sl said:
I remember the first time I attempted to make cream gravy. My brother and I were at John Tarleton Institute and in preparation for his impending marriage he had rented a house. As we were doing some "fixing up" of the house, we decided since we had a stove we would fry some chicken. You had to have gravy with fried chicken so we started making gravy. Brother asked how much flour to put in and I said about a cup or cup and a half.
Needless to say we enjoyed our gravy slices........................

mmmmmmmm gravy pie......

I think probably the most important aspect of Mary's CFS is that in addition to being breadded just right, not real greasy, and the gravy is being able to cut it with a fork. Just thick enough, cooked just well done enough, tender (though I do like it when it's burned just a hair when it's cooked at home).

51eleven":30nxtuiy said:
I think probably the most important aspect of Mary's CFS is that in addition to being breadded just right, not real greasy, and the gravy is being able to cut it with a fork. Just thick enough, cooked just well done enough, tender (though I do like it when it's burned just a hair when it's cooked at home).
Well, we could slice ours. It came out like cornbread....................

smokeyjoe53":2kicz9g0 said:
51eleven":2kicz9g0 said:
Well, we could slice ours. It came out like cornbread....................
Smokey, I hope gravy isn't your best dish...

Well Smokey, I've fried gravy too, usually after too much dancin' on a Friday or Saturday night.
Then again i've ended up with gravy soup under the same conditions.

Wait a minute. Fried Gravy (copywright to be applied for). Could be the next big thing at next year's State Fair. But I'd want a fried biscut too. Smokey, I'll give you 10% as this was partially your idea.

Dogface":34gqgi8c said:
large order CFS.

I'll stand by my post.
Mary's is average at best.
She uses packaged gravy mix,
a cheap cut of meat,
teenagers in the kitchen,
and WAY too much
PLAIN black pepper.
Sure the taters are huge,
but at 1000# a week they cost a penny each.
Her profits overall are prolly 750%.
Hence the 2 Lincoln's.

Perhaps if you got out a little more often.......,

Dogface":261ojoe2 said:
Dogface":261ojoe2 said:
large order CFS.

I'll stand by my post.
Mary's is average at best.
She uses packaged gravy mix,
a cheap cut of meat,
teenagers in the kitchen,
and WAY too much
PLAIN black pepper.
Sure the taters are huge,
but at 1000# a week they cost a penny each.
Her profits overall are prolly 750%.
Hence the 2 Lincoln's.

Perhaps if you got out a little more often.......,

Never trust a dog to watch your food

Back