Kicking team advancing onside kick

Heb 12:29

Six-man fan
If the kicking team recovers an onside kick can it be advanced? Does it matter if it touches a player on the receiving team or not?

I believe you can only advance the onside kick if it is touched by the receiving team; if you recover it after it's gone 15 yards then it is spotted at the point you recovered the ball.

No. The kicking team can never advance a kick-off. A kick continues to be a kick until it is caught or recovered by the receiving team. If team B just touches the ball but never possesses it, the status of the ball is still a kick. The touching by the receiving team just allows team A to legally gain possession of the ball.

It is against the rules for the kicking team to advance a recovered kick or muffed kick...now have I seen ref allow it because they don't know the rules...Yes...and in fact I score such a TD in 1999.

The only possible way you can legally advance it would be if a player has possesion of the ball and then fumbles it and you can advance the fumble...but not a recovered kick or muffed kick

Thanks for the clarification. I actually asked the refs at our game tonight for clarification on this and they said just what was said here. Only if the ball is fielded and then fumbled can the kicking team advance it. This was not the call in a JH game we played on Thursday night, but it was what I believed to be so.

Back