holding

kbjoe1

Six-man fan
?i have a question in regards to holding and how the refs are instructed to flag this foul. please explain this foul? i see this not administered any where near the same by officials on the same crew and vast differences from crew to crew. do you'll meet with the coaches and discuss how it will be administered prior to the game?

It needs to be HUGE. Here are the categories.

1. The hold must be at the point of attack unless it is a takedown in the open field.

2. Grab and restrict. This happens when a blocker grabs inside the frame, but doesn't release when the defender is trying to get away from him.

3. Takedowns

4. Grabbing the jersey and stretching it and slowing down the defender who is in pursuit of a runner.

5. Hook and turn. This is when the arms are outside the frame and the blocker turns the defender. If the defender is just standing there and making no attempt to get away, this should not be called a hold. You may hear some officials refer to this as "dancing".

The key to all of these are that the defender is clearly being impeded from making a play on a ball carrier.

Jason pretty much nailed it, I'll add to the dancing a little, if the offensive player engages the defender with the hands inside and the defender does nothing to get away and goes with the offensive player this is also dancing, because the defender is going right along as if being led in a dance.

This is probably the most common area where the offensive player may have hold of jersey or pads inside the frame of the body, but there is no restriction since the defender displays no effort to get away.

One key thing to watch for is the feet or gait of the defender, if there is a hold they will typically "lose their feet". So if the defender is running along with the play going east and suddenly his motion slows or stops dramatically the he is being restricted from where he wants to go.

Also like Jason mentioned, POA. If the play is a sweep to the left, if the right tackle has a little jersey tug on the backside of the play that shouldn't be called.

Back