clipping

phostoukosmou

Six-man fan
I know that players in the box are protected from a clipping call. However, if i read one of the exceptions correctly, a player that has his back turned and is retreating cannot be hit below the wais and from behind. Here is the scenario: Our left guard begins to pull to his right, thus retreating from the defensive end to his left and exposing his back. The defensive end runs at our guard and dives into the back of his legs and rolls through him. Is this clipping or is he considered in the box and this is legal?

Let's define to things, first what clipping is, because like many of the terms that we use can and are used to describe different things by different people... like chop block.. and second, what the blocking zone is..

Clipping is a block against an opponent in which the force of the initial contact is from behind and at or below the waist.

The blocking zone is a rectangle centered on the middle lineman of the offensive formation (not necessarily the snapper) and extending five yards laterally and three yards logitudinally in each direction from the line of scrimmage.

Clipping, like blocks below the waist are universally illegal, with exceptions... So, basically the rules say that you cannot clip except in these specific instances.

1) Offensive players who are on the line of scrimmage at the snap within the blocking zone, legally may clip in the blocking zone given the following restrictions.
  • A player in the blocking zone may not block an opponent with the force of the initial contact from behind and at or below the knee.
  • A player on the line of scrimmage within the blocking zone may not leave the zone and return and legally clip
  • The blocking zone disintegrates when the ball leaves the zone

2) When a player turns his back to a potential blocker who has committed himself in intent and direction or movement

3) When a player attempts to reach a runner or legally attempts to recover or catch a fumble, a backward pass, a kick or a touched forward pass, he may push an opponent below the waist at or to the buttocks.

4) When an eligible player behind the neutral zone pushes an opponent below the waist at or to the buttocks to get to a forward pass.

5) Clipping is allowed against the runner.

So, based on your description of the defender blocking the lineman low and from behind you would have a clipping foul, not because of any "retreating" language, because it isn't in the rule, but because clipping in general is illegal except certain times where the offensive team can legally clip and against the runner.

9-1-5 on clipping gives the exceptions and it looks like you have looked at them well. This is something that just does not happen a lot in football so it is a rather a rare question. Here is my take on this. Clipping has exceptions and the intent or spirit of rule covers the offense. To me a DE on far side who clips a pulling guard is doing so that it is a foul unless a runner is close in vicinity that the DE could reasonably make a tackle thus his pushing the G below the waist is not illegal.

When I say clip I make these assumptions. The DE was not already attempting to engauge the blocker head up and that the G had already pulled and with an element of time the DE lined up, pursued, and hit the G below the waist and from the back. This also assumes the runner is now well out of reach and not close to the gerenal area this is happeneing. Also note once ball leaves tackle zone it has disentegrated.

This would be a great play to see on film to better help you but my gut has this as a foul all the way based on what you describe. Yes D players can clip and block illegally in the back and draw a penalty.

ARTICLE 5. There shall be no clipping (Rule 2-5).
Exceptions:
1. Offensive players who are on the line of scrimmage at the snap within the
blocking zone (Rule 2-3-6) legally may clip in the blocking zone, subject to
the following restrictions:.
(a) A player in the blocking zone may not block an opponent with the force
of the initial contact from behind and at or below the knee.
(b) A player on the line of scrimmage within the blocking zone may not
leave the zone and return and legally clip.
(c) The blocking zone disintegrates when the ball leaves the zone (Rule 2-3-
6).
2. When a player turns his back to a potential blocker who has committed
himself in intent and direction or movement.
3. When a player attempts to reach a runner or legally attempts to recover
or catch a fumble, a backward pass, a kick or a touched forward pass, he
may push an opponent below the waist at or to the buttocks (Rule 9-3-3-c,
Exception 3).
4. When an eligible player behind the neutral zone pushes an opponent below
the waist at or to the buttocks to get to a forward pass (Rule 9-3-3-c,
Exception 5).
5. Clipping is allowed against the runner.

Back