Chicken Fried Steak Day

What's the best way to prepare a CFS? Pan fried, deep fried, flattop? double dipped, flour only, egg wash?
For gravy I guess I would have to go with pan fried......... with garlic mashed taters, cathead biscuits and pintos.
Oh yeah and if you are lucky you get the piece of steak that has the round bone left in it so you can scrape the marrow out. No calories in that...............

smokeyjoe53":3kjm2trb said:
What's the best way to prepare a CFS? Pan fried, deep fried, flattop? double dipped, flour only, egg wash?
For gravy I guess I would have to go with pan fried......... with garlic mashed taters, cathead biscuits and pintos.
Oh yeah and if you are lucky you get the piece of steak that has the round bone left in it so you can scrape the marrow out. No calories in that...............

This is how I made mine when I cooked for cowboys, but these days, I just do pan fried with flour, salt, and pepper only.

4 tenderized beef cutlets
salt
pepper
flour
2 eggs
1 cup of milk
3 cups of oil
1 to 2 Beers, well perhaps 3 so you'll have one to drink while cooking.

You will want to tenderize the beef a bit more.

Cover one piece with plastic wrap and gently pound with a meat pounder. Do each one.

Put in a glass or plastic bowl and cover with beer. Let it marinate at least 2 hours.

Remove from beer and season with pepper, salt and garlic.

Heat oil in skillet on medium. You don’t want to burn the oil or the flour up.

Mix egg and milk, and put the meat into the mixture.

Dredge in the flour and fry for 4 minutes on each side.

Fry in small batches so that the oil does not cool down too much.

You may also deep fry if you like but it will require more oil and a lower temp.

ACowboysWife":1xscwt79 said:
smokeyjoe53":1xscwt79 said:

This is how I made mine when I cooked for cowboys, but these days, I just do pan fried with flour, salt, and pepper only.

4 tenderized beef cutlets
salt
pepper
flour
2 eggs
1 cup of milk
3 cups of oil
1 to 2 Beers, well perhaps 3 so you'll have one to drink while cooking.

You will want to tenderize the beef a bit more.

Cover one piece with plastic wrap and gently pound with a meat pounder. Do each one.

Put in a glass or plastic bowl and cover with beer. Let it marinate at least 2 hours.

Remove from beer and season with pepper, salt and garlic.

Heat oil in skillet on medium. You don’t want to burn the oil or the flour up.

Mix egg and milk, and put the meat into the mixture.

Dredge in the flour and fry for 4 minutes on each side.

Fry in small batches so that the oil does not cool down too much.

You may also deep fry if you like but it will require more oil and a lower temp.

drool.gif

Make it 4 beers so you will have one to drink with the meal......

I just can't go the cutlet route......1/2" round steak with the bone still in place pounded out with a cast iron skillet......... after you finish with the bone, throw it to Doggy........

Almost had a great CFS, learned from an older brother that if you see anything on the plate except cream gravy, it's not a great one. But all good, had a side of gravy to make up the shortage.

Chicken Fried Steak
Ingredients:
  • • 3 pounds Round Steak
    • 1½ cup Buttermilk
    • 3 cups All-purpose Flour
    • Sea Salt or Kosher Salt (primarily, because I don’t like iodised salt)
    • Large quantities of freshly ground Black Pepper. Copious amounts.
    • Peanut Oil, For Frying
    • 1 cup whole milk (for gravy)
    • 1 cup Half&Half (for gravy)
Preparation:
Cut steak into serving size pieces; salt and pepper the steak, cover with plastic wrap, then pound the steak with a meat mallet, rubber mallet, sledge hammer, or cast iron skillet. A few whacks for each piece should suffice. (If you have time, soak the steaks in buttermilk for an hour or so, before going on to the next steps.)

Begin with an assembly line of dishes for the meat: buttermilk in one; flour mixed with salt and pepper in one; meat in one; then have one clean plate at the end to receive the breaded meat.

Work one piece of meat at a time. Season both sides with salt and pepper (again with the pepper, the salt, only if you soaked the meat in buttermilk, earlier), then dip in the buttermilk. Next, place the meat on the plate of seasoned flour. Turn to coat thoroughly. Place the meat back into the buttermilk, turning to coat. Place back in the flour and turn to coat. (So: buttermilk/dry mixture/buttermilk/dry mixture.) Place breaded meat on the clean plate, then repeat with remaining meat.

Heat oil in a large cast iron skillet over medium heat. Drop in a few sprinkles of flour to make sure it's sufficiently hot. Cook meat, three pieces at a time, until edges start to look golden brown; around 2 to 2½ minutes each side.

Remove to a paper towel-lined plate and keep warm. Repeat until all meat is cooked.

Gravy:
After all meat is fried, pour off the oil into a heatproof bowl. Without cleaning the pan, return it to the stove over medium-low heat. Add ¼ cup oil back to the pan. Allow oil to heat up.

Sprinkle ±⅓ cup flour evenly over the oil. Using a whisk, mix flour with oil, creating a golden-brown roux. Keep cooking until it reaches a deep golden brown color. If the roux seems too oily, sprinkle in another tablespoon of flour and whisk.

Whisking constantly, pour in milk and half&half. Cook to thicken the gravy. Be prepared to add more milk if it becomes overly thick. Add salt and pepper and cook for 5 to 10 minutes, until gravy is smooth and thick. Taste and add more salt and pepper... and a little more pepper.

Serve meat with a big side of mashed potatoes... and gravy all over everything.

Mother used to pan fry it in just enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan. I'm pretty sure she dipped in water only then flour. Cooked it fairly slow till it was burned lightly on the edges.
I've tried but never done it exactly the same. Her's was always tender. Wife double dips in egg & milk, 1/4-1/2 " oil. Good stuff too.
Mary's is 1/2 way thin - like Ilike it. From the crust I don't think it's double battered or deep fried. Probably wrong. You can use a knife but can cut it with a fork. Excellent. On the Texas Monthly Bucket List for Texans. (do I get a free T-shirt Mary?)

51eleven":3izvtz3d said:
Mother used to pan fry it in just enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan. I'm pretty sure she dipped in water only then flour. Cooked it fairly slow till it was burned lightly on the edges.
I've tried but never done it exactly the same. Her's was always tender. Wife double dips in egg & milk, 1/4-1/2 " oil. Good stuff too.
By no means am I denigrating a pan fried steak, as you describe… it is a dish my own mother made much more often than CFS, and I very much enjoy(ed) it, but they are (I think most people agree) different dishes.

olderelk":3ptymp1d said:
These look pretty good. (I'm talking about the CFS)
Scroll down, there's lots of CFS.
http://cravedfw.com/2011/10/26/we-are-c ... steak-day/
They didn’t put Babe’s on the list? No frills, just good CFS, cream gravy, mashed potatoes, corn, salad and home made buttermilk biscuits. There is sorghum and honey on the table for the biscuits, too. Unless it has really gone downhill in the last few years, I think it was one of the best CFSs I have had in a “multiple locations” restaurant.

A_Whippersnapper":1nke799y said:
olderelk":1nke799y said:
These look pretty good. (I'm talking about the CFS)
Scroll down, there's lots of CFS.
http://cravedfw.com/2011/10/26/we-are-c ... steak-day/
They didn’t put Babe’s on the list? No frills, just good CFS, cream gravy, mashed potatoes, corn, salad and home made buttermilk biscuits. There is sorghum and honey on the table for the biscuits, too. Unless it has really gone downhill in the last few years, I think it was one of the best CFSs I have had in a “multiple locations” restaurant.

How does Babe have time to run a chain of cafes? I thought she was too busy being mad about Aquilla's ranking to do much else.

Not one post yet noting the happy confluence of chicken fried steak and six-man football in Texas?

I'm speaking of the often mentioned Mary's in Strawn, home of what has been reported as the BEST CFS IN TEXAS!

I will need to speak to Granger next time I'm in Austin and discuss the imposition of double secret probation on you offenders ... although the craved blog does briefly mention Mary's at the end as an afterthought, for which I will leave to others to determine disciplinary action in that case.

http://eatsblog.dallasnews.com/archives ... in-wi.html

Back