Football Equipment

pstone

11-man fan
This will be our first year to play 6 man. This will also be my first year to coach 6 man. We have always played flag football. I am looking for equipment. Where to purchase at a reasonable price? Any specifics I need to know about on pads and helmets?

pstone":1uaa9wen said:
This will be our first year to play 6 man. This will also be my first year to coach 6 man. We have always played flag football. I am looking for equipment. Where to purchase at a reasonable price? Any specifics I need to know about on pads and helmets?

First rule we had when we started six man several years ago was NOT to buy used equipment. You may not know how it was refurbished (or if it was at all ...). Regardless of the size of your squad, buy extra equipment (we bought for 15 players; but depending on your school you might buy more. Don't buy less.)

Don't scrimp on helmets. Call some of the nearby schools (private and public) and ask where they get their equipment. I'm a big fan of the Riddell Revolution helmet, but there are others who love the Schutt helmets.

This is a good time of year to buy stuff. A lot of the mfgrs. have sales (buy 6 helmets, get one free; money off on uniforms) and you might get a deal where you buy now, pay a portion down and pay the rest in July or September.

I'm going to PM you a PDF file of a presentation I gave to a coaching clinic on starting a program ...

Welcome aboard!

John Taddy
[email protected]

pstone":15mtj3sh said:
Calvary Baptist in Conroe. The Helmets color either red or black, but if we have to white.

Color's easy ... any of the helmet folks can make them any color you want. Of course, for you, red or black is fine (I'd stay away from white). If you want "midnight rain chartruse," well, that might cost a buck for two more. Unless you got some lady who is an interior designer picking your school colors, the standard colors work well.

A few years back, I was invited to tour the Riddell All America helmet refurbishing plant in San Antonio. They were in the process of painting the Dallas Cowboy helmets that day ... it wasn't an order for "blue," but extremely specific hues...

One thing I learned that day is that most professional football players have a helmet that they prefer. If they move from team to team, the helmet is sent to the refurbisher and repainted with the new team colors.

By the way, if a refurbisher (and I forget the nomeclature of the group that accredits refurbishers; but I can tell you that Riddell All American in San Antonio is probably among the biggest) finds that a helmet does not meet specifications, they will saw it in half and trash the two halves separately. Somewhere, I've got an article from several years ago, where they found that less reputable folks would rifle through their trash and resell the defective helmets.

Send me a PM or email and I'll send you the PDF of the presentation I made to the coaches clinic a couple years ago.

I have just finished ordering everything to start up a program. I got quotes from different sporting goods reps thru out the state. I ended up buying from one and so far I have been pleased with my orders that are coming in.
I would be glad to visit with you, we also bought everything new. Plus we don't have to pay until 9-01-09.
Coach Cavitt
Paradigm Charter School
Comanche,Tx.
[email protected]
325-330-1503

Back