Am i qualified?

mustangscoach

11-man fan
I have a question for all of you six man gurus. In 1995 I graduated college and started teaching/coaching in a small pk-8th grade school. Currently I teach 5-8 science and do all the coaching. I have no AD and have been through 7 superintendents. Everything i have learned in the last 15 years I have had to figure out for myself. My school is nearly always the smallest dog in the fight.(about 70 kids in PK-8) We usually have 6-8 girls in basketball, and 8-12 boys in football and basketball including 6th graders. (I know these days a lot more schools are at these numbers) This past year my boys went 5-2 in football. We lost to BC and GC (not often you can say you only lost to state champion programs) and 15-1 in basketball. Needless to say this was an exceptional year and they don't always go this well. I often see head high school positions opening and wonder if I'm qualified. I know I don't have the experience to be an AD and that usually comes with football. I would also be interested in basketball, or even girls basketball. My question is this. Does 15 years as a do it all jr high six man coach make you qualified to do it in high school? By the way I am secondary science certified.

Thanks for all your replies.

I am sure no one would question your ability to coach, but it may be hard to find a head job in high school straight from JH. You may have to be an assistant at the high school level for a couple of years before moving up to a head coaching position. If you are certified in secondary science, you shouldnt have a hard time finding a job to move up from. Good luck.

I know where you are and that would be a great place to live. Does the school provide any housing and how is the above base pay if you can disclose this?

MustangCoach,
I thought you meant qualified as far as the state is concerned. Highly qualified just means a college grad and passed a TExES test.

Qualified to AD/HC? You bet!! You've been doing it for years now!

Only an idiot would try to separate or look down on JH experience, and untill we get out of this mindset a lot of great men will be held back. This is where the lie is spread. For some crazy reason the basic low self esteem crowd doesn't want to accept the fact that a devoted man can do as good as or better job than they can. In football everyone gets the same basic format to start with, no surprise here. Only so many holes to run through, so many players, same basic equipment and field of play. You can make it as hard or simple as you want.

I'm already tired of those that tell me I can't do it just because they won't give me a chance to, and or that I have to do it their way or obviously I don't know what I'm doing. That's the way it is here where I work. We finally called the Prin. on it (him really wanting to run the show) and he asked for all the coaches, even the Girls coach, to resign.

SO, you just get out there and apply for every so-called "Premier" AD/HC job out there. Even if you don't get one you still have shown some interest and when that "Quality guy" they thought they had bails out you can apply again and they may remember you from before.

Better yet, find some place to call home, dig in for the long haul, and build your own program and show them all how it's done! I'd work for you.

Good luck!

Back