126 Names come off GB Packer ticket waiting list.

freeagent

Six-man pro
My momma put us on the waiting list in 1965, and it took until 1990 for us to get to the front of the line. At the current rate, the last guy on the list will get season tickets in the Year 2675, 665 years from now.

I used to deliver the Green Bay Press Gazette back in the late 60's; I remember the daily paper was a dime and went up to 15c; Sunday was 35c and was raised to 50c. Something the article reminded me was the old NFL blackout policy. Even if the game was sold out, the local network affiliate could not broadcast the home game during the regular season (it would usually be lifted for the playoffs); that put folks watching stations in Green Bay or Wausau (about 60 miles away) out of luck; we lived a little to the south so if we knew someone with a top-notch antenna (again, long before cable or satellitte) and a clear day, you might be able to pull in the Milwaukee signal. Otherwise, you listened to Ted Moore on the radio.

One of the comments after the article asked how long the Vikings list is ... that is, the list of cities who want the Vikings once their stadium lease deal ends.

http://packersnews.greenbaypressgazette ... ar-Hibbard

July 9, 2010

Green Bay Packers season ticket wait ends for Tina Dollar-Hibbard

BY JON STYF
[email protected]

Back when the trees weren’t so tall and wide on Shadow Lane, Tina Dollar-Hibbard and her three sisters would sit in the front yard and collect a quarter from a few family friends who parked in their driveway before each Packers home game.

The team was everything to the family, as they sat in the living room across the street from Lambeau Field watching road games on their television in the late 1960s and early ‘70s, sharing a bowl of popcorn with their father, Lowell.

“It didn’t matter that he had four girls,” Dollar-Hibbard said. “The Packers were everything to him. I grew up watching football with him and we would sit around talking about the nickel and dime defense and Bart Starr.”

Dollar-Hibbard never attended home games in those days — the family’s four season tickets were for the adults.

Forty years after Lowell put Tina’s name on the Packers’ season ticket waiting list and 16 years after his death, the De Pere resident can join that club.

She is one of 126 members of the team’s season ticket waiting list — which had 83,881 names as of Thursday — who will have new season tickets. And it’s all that her family has heard about this week.

Lowell, whose friends called him Johnny, put all four of his daughters’ names on the list when they were young. Tina was added in 1970, when she was 5. When the Packers added 12,000 seats following a $295 million stadium renovation in 2003, Tina’s three sisters received tickets.

Tina had to wait until now.

The wait remains lengthy because most of the team’s season ticket holders come back year after year, even passing them on after death to family members. This season, 99.6 percent of season ticket holders renewed.

Last year, 99.4 percent renewed and 192 new names received the letter that fans on the waiting list anticipate for years. Every other year since the 2003 expansion, that number has ranged between 50 and 70.

Even people on the waiting list can pass their place on to family members following the same rules, though few do.

The team sends postcards to people on the waiting list with their number in line every year in late August or early September. If a person has moved and doesn’t notify the team, the postcard returns to the team. Those fans have a year to update the address before losing their spot in line.

“That moves the list along a lot faster than cancellations,” Packers Director of Ticket Operations Mark Wagner said.

Wagner is constantly asked how long it will take to get tickets, especially since the waiting list ballooned in the early 90s along with the team’s success.

“That is an impossible question to answer,” Wagner said. “It has been anywhere from 35 to 40 years. But we don’t know what the future holds.”

For the Dollar family, even though they all have new last names now, the future holds plenty of Packers games. The four sisters — Donna Barrette, Sue Czachor, Peggy Hyloa and Dollar-Hibbard — have two tickets apiece. Dollar-Hibbard’s mother, Ann Moore has four.

Moore now lives in Naples, Fla., but still has a Packers room in her house, filled with memorabilia, including a plaque she received on the field from Vince Lombardi after organizing a pride and patriotism day when every fan in the stadium held up a U.S. flag on Dec. 7, 1968.

Today, the family’s old house on Shadow Lane is among those rented out for fall football weekends by its current owner, according to Dollar-Hibbard. The road, neighborhood and house have changed plenty since the family moved out in the mid-70s.

But strolling past on game day still brings back plenty of memories of her youth. Dollar-Hibbard has attended plenty of games since the family moved, but this year she’ll have one more difficult question to answer.

“I need to decide who I am going to take with me,” she said. “I’ve had a lot of offers.”

Old Bearkat":36x91x15 said:
What number are you on the list John?

Like I said above, my dear departed sainted Irish mother put us on the waiting list in 1965. I still can remember (and I know the letter is still at our family home in Wisconsin, where I do not know) my mom got a nice, polite letter from the Packers thanking her for requesting four tickets and that we were something like #9000 on the list (that is, 9000 names, not tickets -- you can request as many as four tickets). Among the polite lines in the letter was a somewhat more diplomatic way of saying don't expect to get tickets anytime soon.

During the late 60s, 70s and early 80s, there were some additions to the stadium that opened up a lot of seats (Lambeau seated about 32,000 when it opened and is now around 80,000). I think that in the late 80s, they added about four rows of club seats and some box seats so that got us to the top of the list -- I remember Mom telling me that she got a letter from the Packers offering the club seats at $80 a seat (in 1990), but she elected to go with the regular seats, which probably were then in the high 20's or low 30's a ticket.

These were for the Green Bay games. Until the mid-90's the Packers played several games in Milwaukee. When they decided to move the entire home schedule to Green Bay (games in Milwaukee had smaller crowds and higher costs for the Packers, since they had expenses similar to a road game), the Milwaukee ticket holders got to have tickets to two regular season games (always the 2nd and 5th home games) and one preseason game; now called the "Gold Package." Our tickets are part of the "Green Package," which is five home games and one preseason game plus first dibs on playoff tickets.

My sister, who bought the family home from Mom before she died, kept the tickets until the most recent renovation. Part of that was the institution of a seat license fee (the person who ever devised that crooked plan should be boiled in oil, tarred and feathers, electricuted, hung from a tree, shot at dawn, and then severe punishment to follow...but that's for another day). In this case, the fee was $1400 a ticket, which she didn't have. Since I was a family member, it was easy to transfer the tickets to me. I can transfer the tickets to my children or spouse, not sure if I can go to first cousins, but there is a limit to who you can transfer tickets.

The 2010 season tickets just showed up ... $67 a seat (Section 133, which, when you watch the game on TV, is right over the tunnel where the Packers enter the field and it is near the historic and treasured South End Zone, where Bart Starr snuck across the goal line in the Ice Bowl, in what I still consider the greatest game in professional football history.

The second greatest game is a tie....anytime the Pack beat the Bears or Vikings, both of which are the embodiment of evil in this world.

lifegatesports":gbpvtvc7 said:
Old Bearkat":gbpvtvc7 said:
What number are you on the list John?

Part of that was the institution of a seat license fee (the person who ever devised that crooked plan should be boiled in oil, tarred and feathers, electricuted, hung from a tree, shot at dawn, and then severe punishment to follow...but that's for another day).

I believe that would be the infamous Jerry Jones

Old Bearkat":1yqqgahk said:
I believe that would be the infamous Jerry Jones

Nope, it was around before him (I think the first place it was tried was in Nashville, for the Titans). But Jerry perfected it.

I'm starting to warm up to Jerry; I've read some articles on how helpful the Cowboy Stadium operation (and Texas Stadium before it) have been to getting high school games in the stadiums (there actually were more high school games played in Texas Stadium; something like 700+; compared to Cowboy games; 300+). I'm pretty certain the normal rate card doesn't apply.

There are a couple private school crowded field teams playing there this fall; at best they'll draw 2000-3000 fans. They figure it will be a break-even operation AND the stadium is giving them access to the press box and Jerry's big screen.

In 1939 when I was five years old and living near Milwaukee, my dad took me to see the NFL Championship game between the Packers and the Giants, which was played in the Milwaukee area at State Fair Park in West Allis.. The football field was constructed inside the one- mile racetrack . Curly Lambeau moved the game from Green Bay in order to draw a larger gate. Fans in Green Bay were furious and threatened to boycott the game. But when game day arrived, a record crowd of more than 30,000 payed a record amount of around five dollars a ticket. My dad and i sat on temporary folding chairs that were placed on the race track due to the size of the crowd. The Packers won, 27-0. I have never forgotten that game or the fact that my dad chose to take me instead of going with his buddies.

kjake":1nzih5hm said:
In 1939 when I was five years old and living near Milwaukee, my dad took me to see the NFL Championship game between the Packers and the Giants, which was played in the Milwaukee area at State Fair Park in West Allis.. The football field was constructed inside the one- mile racetrack . Curly Lambeau moved the game from Green Bay in order to draw a larger gate. Fans in Green Bay were furious and threatened to boycott the game. But when game day arrived, a record crowd of more than 30,000 payed a record amount of around five dollars a ticket. My dad and i sat on temporary folding chairs that were placed on the race track due to the size of the crowd. The Packers won, 27-0. I have never forgotten that game or the fact that my dad chose to take me instead of going with his buddies.

Welcome aboard, fellow Packer fan! I don't go that far back; first games I remember were in the 1965 season.

Back then, the Packers played games at old City Stadium, near GB East High School, which was a stadium in name only. By the 50's, the wooden stands were falling apart, creature comforts were non-existant, and locker room facilities were spartan even for those times. The locals decided to spend just under a million dollars and opened City Stadium in 1957. It didn't get the Lambeau Field name until Curly kicked the bucket in 1965. Curly had left the Packers employ sometime in the late 40s or so and I think he even coached the Chicago Cardinals for a couple years.

FYI ... the first NFL championship game played in Green Bay was in 1962 (vs. Giants; Pack won 37-0).

http://www.lambeaufield.com/stadium_inf ... e_packers/

kjake":28dlu9du said:

Nice.Thanks for sharing..1939..I know now i'm not the oldest
one on here now.
Welcome..

Back